Finished modified summer shawlUnfortunately, I didn't carry any lace yarn in my stash so I had to be patient. In April 2009, I got lucky when I ran into a sale of the Patons Lacette yarn. This would make a great gift for my mom's upcoming birthday.
This was also my very first lace project so I started right away not knowing how difficult or easy this would be. As it turns out, the pattern was very easy to knit and I was surprised at how quickly the shawl grew.
I did change the edging of the pattern a bit by adding a few extra rows of a ribbing pattern and a couple of rows with "holes" in it to make it look a bit more "airy" for this yarn. I actually played with the thought of adding a couple of ribbon bows to the edging, tying them through the holes... but then I decided against it as it wasn't quite the right fit for my mom. :)
The final size turned out to be about 51.5" across the widest part (57" along the top edge) and 21" tall. For my mom this will be just right. If I would make it for myself, I would most likely add about 4 pattern repeats and adjust the following rows accordingly as the shawl doesn't "close" in the front for me.After a quick hand wash, blocking and taking a few pictures the present was ready to be sent out with my handmade birthday card.